VEA Privacy Statement
The term "we" or "us" means VEA.
A. The term "you" means a current or former VEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a VEA product or service (e.g. who subscribes to a VEA-produced electronic newsletter).
B. The term "personal information" means any piece of information that on its own can specifically identify a current or former VEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a VEA product or service. This would include, but is not limited to, full name, postal address, e-mail address, social security number, or financial information.
C. The term "VEA website" means VEA's external website located at: http://www.veanea.org/ and any future websites that we may develop.
D. The term "VEA Intranet" means VEA's internal, private, and secured website for local leaders and staff.
E. The term "VEA-related organizations" means NEA's Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Member Insurance Trust, NEA Foundation, NEA Health Information Network, and any other entity created by VEA or NEA.
F. The term "third party" means a legal entity that is separate and independent from VEA, other state and local affiliates, or any NEA-related organization.
G. The term "cookie" means a small file that is placed on your computer that allows a website to store, and sometimes track, information about how you use that website.
H. The term "discussion forum" means an asynchronous website component that enables users to exchange ideas by posting questions and answers on relevant subjects. Discussion forums are also commonly referred to as "discussion groups," "discussion boards," "message boards," "bulletin boards," and "online forums."
III. Personal Information Collected
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
A. Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us on your membership application and other VEA forms — whether online via the VEA website or VEA Intranet or offline via traditional, hard copy forms (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
B. Other Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us via the VEA website or VEA Intranet (such as an e-mail address if you subscribe to an VEA produced electronic newsletter or other personal information contained in an e-mail that you send to us via the feedback feature of the VEA website).
C. Personal Information that we receive from our national and local affiliates or other NEA-related organizations (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
D. Personal Information that we receive from third parties (such as insurance claim information in connection with the NEA Educators Employment Liability Program and publicly available voter registration information).
IV. How We Use That Information
The personal information that VEA collects about you helps us and our national, local affiliates and VEA-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent you and provide you with valuable member benefits.
V. Information Sharing
In order to provide you with efficient and effective representation and member benefits, we routinely share all of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with our national and local affiliates and VEA-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf.
Additionally, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with certain third parties that share our interests or as otherwise permitted by law.
VI. Available Choices
Any personal information that you provide to us is voluntary. VEA members may update their personal information at any time. For information on how to contact us, please visit the VEA website at: http://www.veanea.org/about/contact-vea.html. If you subscribe to any VEA produced electronic newsletter, you may cancel your subscription at any time by following the instructions at the bottom of all such newsletters. If you have any problems canceling such a subscription, please contact us.
VII. Information Security
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to: (1) insure the security and confidentiality of your personal information; (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such information; and (3) protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information. For more information on our information security, contact VEA directly at http://www.veanea.org/about/contact-vea.html to request a copy of the NEA Information Security Program.
VIII. Information Systems
• VEA employs a combination of electronic badges and intelligent keys to secure access to VEA offices.
• VEA restricts access to databases and documents containing personal information to authorized users at VEA and its national and local affiliates, and those users have access only to the personal information relevant to their assignments.
• VEA shall take appropriate steps to ensure that documents containing personal information are securely sent to and from NEA and its local affiliates.
• VEA provides users of the VEA website or VEA Intranet with a secure connection to transmit all personal information, including social security numbers.
• VEA provides users of the Membership System (I&A) at VEA and its national and local affiliates a secure connection for Internet access to that system.
• VEA shall not require users of the VEA website or VEA Intranet to log on using a social security number.
VEA shall not print member social security numbers on any identification cards or badges; nor shall member social security numbers appear on any documents mailed to members.
• VEA shall take appropriate steps to destroy documents containing personal information in a secure way, such as shredding, erasing, or otherwise modifying the personal information in those documents to make it unreadable or undecipherable, in accordance with the VEA Document Retention Policy.
• Oversight of Third Parties: VEA requires that: (1) the VEA Executive Director approves any request to share member personal information, in part or its entirety, contained in the Membership System with a third party; and (2) any approval is subject to VEA Board policy.
IX. Additional Information for Users of the VEA Web Site or VEA Intranet
A. Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you use the VEA website or the VEA Intranet, you provide us with certain non-personal information in addition to any personal information that you may voluntarily provide. For example, if you browse the VEA website or VEA Intranet or download information, our operating system automatically records the following non-personal information:
1. The Internet domain for your Internet service (such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourcollege.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain);
2. The type of browser that you use (such as "America Online version 7" or "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5");
3. The type of operating system that you use (such as Windows or Macintosh);
4. The date and time that you visit the VEA website or VEA Intranet and the web pages that you view;
5. The address of the previous website that you visited if you linked to us from another website; and
6. The address of the next website that you visit if you link to it from the VEA website or VEA Intranet.
We use the above non-personal information to diagnose technical problems and track user interests so that we can provide content that interests you.
We gather this non-personal information in the aggregate and we share it in the same manner that we share personal information, as described in Section V above.
C. Discussion Forums
If you participate in a discussion forum on the NEA website or VEA Intranet, your comments, along with any personal information that you voluntarily disclose, may be collected, used, and shared by anyone with access to that forum. We are not responsible for the personal information that you choose to submit in a discussion forum.
The VEA website and VEA Intranet are general websites, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.
E. External Links
XI. Contact Us
Subscribe to the Works4Me newsletter and never miss a great tip!