Careers at VEA
VEA employs approximately 75 individuals who work out of the headquarters in Richmond and regional offices around the state. Most professional positions are UniServ Directors who work directly with members and local Association leaders across the state.
For more about UniServ work, see "About UniServ Positions," below.
The VEA headquarters staff includes lobbyists, researchers, technology, professional learning, and communications specialists, as well as administrative, technical, and accounting support staff. Current vacancies are listed below.
UniServ Director, Prince William
Posted 3-19-14. Deadline to apply extended to 4-30-14.
About UniServ Positions
The UniServ program in Virginia is focused on developing the ability of our local Associations to be dynamic organizations that systematically identify and meet members' needs.
A partial list of the duties performed by VEA UniServ Directors includes:
• Assist local leadership in developing and implementing year-round membership recruitment and retention plans
• Assist in the design and execution of Association/rep building level leader training
• Assist locals in the recruitment and leadership development of Education Support Professionals
• Assist local leadership to develop capacity for advocacy and activism within the membership and larger community
• Provide consultation to members and local Associations on and work to protect member rights and working conditions
• Coordinate state and national resources, including raising awareness of member benefits
• Provide salary and negotiations/meet and confer consultation and related training to local leaders
• Develop members’ leadership and organizing skills through training workshops
• Assist in legislative and political activities and maintain familiarity with federal, state and local legislation and policies affecting members.
The UniServ program in Virginia is focused on developing the ability of our local Associations to be dynamic organizations that systematically identify and meet members’ needs.
Becoming a UniServ Director in Virginia
UniServ openings are first advertised (and sometimes filled) by qualified internal candidates. When a UniServ position is posted externally, the vacancy is advertised here and through the NEA job listing service. Please pay careful attention to the application deadline. Interviews with qualified candidates will be conducted by a team that may include members of the local UniServ Council.
Salary and benefits
The wages, benefits and working conditions of VEA UniServ Directors are negotiated by the VEA Board of Directors and the Virginia Professional Staff Association, an affiliate of the National Staff Organization. Applicants who are selected for interview will be provided with a current copy of the contract.
Support School Funding
Subscribe to the Works4Me newsletter and never miss a great tip!